Saturday, August 6, 2016

Dividing Lavender

Well, I may have really goofed!  Yesterday I decided to divide my oldest lavender plant.  It was planted near the yucca, and didn't have much room.  It was getting pretty big and woody, and didn't produce many flowers, so it seemed sensible to just move it.

I did.  I dug into it, removed a couple pieces, and put them into the southern front flower bed.  Then I took the rest, broke it into two big chunks, and put those in the new bed by the pampas grass.

Today I read an article that said only divide your lavender plant as a LAST RESORT!  Apparently there is a high probability of death after division.  Rats....  I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens.  I still have the one next to the front steps, so if the older one kicks the bucket maybe I can propagate more plants from cuttings.

I wonder if I'll ever think to look things up BEFORE I do them.

No comments:

Post a Comment