Sunday, July 28, 2013

Beeblossoms and Beards

I worked in my flower bed a little today, and realized I don't know anything about my $6 "Pink Fountain" gaura I bought at Lowe's this year.  So, off to the Internet!


It's a perennial that likes full sun (check!), and well-drained soil (oh well...).  I've been amending the soil in my clay bed with perlite and peat moss, so maybe it will make it.  Gaura is popularly known as "bee blossom" and it's drought-resistant.  It's supposed to grow to a height of 2' to 3'.  Gaura has tap roots, so may not spread the way I'd like!  According to one article I read, I should prune off dead or ugly stems and leaves in very early spring, retaining the lower-stem stubs at a length of 2 to 6 inches.  If it gets long and leggy, it can be cut back by 6" to 20", as long as not more than HALF the stem length is removed.  To propagate, dig up plants and divide the stems and roots in spring before plants display too many new sprouting leaves.  NOTE:  Summer 2014 - Unfortunately this one didn't make it!



Another plant nearby is called "Jupiter's Beard," - red valerian.  It hasn't bloomed yet, so I'm not sure what it's going to look like, but according to the Internet it's supposed to have red blooms.  It's a perennial that grows from 1-1/2' to 3' tall.  This one definitely needs to be dead-headed (if it ever blooms!) because the flowers turn to a dandelion-type head of seeds that blow all over.  As flowers begin to fade, plants should be pruned back to the main clump of foliage to promote continuous blooming and keep the plant compact.

Just a bit more information in my "plantopedia."

No comments:

Post a Comment